High-tech radiation detection by France-based startup Icohup
Radiation protection, or radioprotection, solutions have one purpose: to keep people and the environment safe from the damaging effects of ionizing radiation. This means measuring radiation present in the environment, training staff, establishing procedures for raising the alert when necessary, and providing physical protection.
But let’s get back to the first step, measurement. Rium by Icohup is a sensor-plus-software solution that measures radiation and transmits measurement data so that radiological events can be detected, and exposure reduced.
Icohup’s totally innovative solutions do more than measure: They monitor risk in real time. Dosimeter data can be accessed on our web platform 24/7 from anywhere. This makes monitoring multiple facilities and locations easier and more efficient than ever.
Control risk to reduce exposure for better protection of workers and the environment.
Our patented sensors come in two models, mobile and stationary. Not only do they measure the radiation dose rate, but they also produce spectrometric information. Gamma, or γ, spectrometry can effectively determine what type of radiation is present and, unlike dosimeters calibrated using a single radioactive element, γ spectrometry can measure the actual dose flow. Icohup sensors constantly calculate the amount of energy detected for a reliable, accurate measurement, regardless of the source of the radiation.
Each type of stakeholder in ionizing radiation risk management has unique concerns.
- Comply with new regulations like Euratom 2013/59 (with a national transposition deadline of 2018), which repealed previous regulations on individual dosimeters when it came into force.
- Control costs.
- Ensure pragmatic and effective area-by-area and individual measurement to control costs.
- Identify and analyze risk factors based on real-world data so that corrective measures can be taken.
- Guarantee continuous improvement based on measurement tools like dashboards.
- Identify, assess, and control risk to make relevant and effective radiation protection recommendations.
- Raise the awareness of employees exposed to radiation risks through real-time collective measurement. In many occupational settings, dosimeters are not worn by individuals. This makes estimating the actual dose received by individuals impossible.
- Generate, manage, and process data with powerful digital tools for greater efficiency, especially when monitoring multiple facilities or locations.
Icohup’s innovative Rium sensors were developed specifically to respond to occupational radiation protection and risk management standards and regulations:
- Real time: For the most effective possible protection of exposed workers.
- High performance: Measure dose flow and complete a spectrometric analysis simultaneously.
- Ultra connected: WiFi, Ethernet, and 4G connectivity using the web-based data visualization platform.
- Competitively priced: Drastically reduces the number of dosimeters required.
How Icohup took a breakthrough innovation in radiation monitoring from lab to market
Two years of R&D to develop the lab prototype into a usable product.
The underlying technology is confirmed.
Entered University of Limoges incubator: AVRUL
Selected for the Bourse FrenchTech business accelerator:
Technology tested by an independent certification lab for the first time.
Joined GICAT (French defense-industry consortium) GENERATE business accelerator for defense and security startups
Membership renewed in 2020.
Rium and web platform released.
Proof-of-concept prototype validation tested in real-world conditions.
Exclusive brand licensing agreement signed with IRSN (France’s radioprotection and nuclear safety institute).
Icohup is the only manufacturer authorized to use the IRSN brand.
XaaS business model validated.
Customer testing and focus groups to confirm the relevance of all aspects fo the Rium solution.
Won major national innovation competition:
for the development of a new-generation operational dosimeter.
€200K annual revenue in first year.
All of the company’s initial products reach technological maturity.
Partnership with HALECO:
Distributor to the nuclear industry; now an Icohup equity shareholder.
Sales department and distributor network set up.
Icohup one of ten promising scaleups in France’s Nouvelle-Aquitaine region selected to enter the upgrade program.
A well-rounded team of founders
PhD in Physics, research on memory effect on scintillators for medical imaging.
Research conducted in conjunction with medical imaging detector leader Trixell (2012 to 2015).
Physics intern at French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission (CEA), one of the world’s most innovative government-funded research organizations.
PhD candidate in cybersecurity.
PhD dissertation on developing trusted solutions for IoT.
Dual Masters degree in cybersecurity (3iL engineering school), top of class (2017).
Intern, French Ministry of the Armed Forces (2017).
A multidisciplinary team
“Our web and mobile apps are updated daily to make sure we are always meeting our customers’ risk management needs.”
“We design, test, program, and assemble our sensors to deliver sensitivity and effectiveness unrivaled on the market today.”
“If you are wondering if our products are right for you, we’d love to give you a demo and answer any questions you may have. Contact us!”